Whiter Shade of Pale

November 16, 2010

Remember that song? I don't think I ever really understood the lyrics, but never mind, just so, so, so very good. About the time that song came out I left California for a European trip for 4 months. While there, I rarely heard any of the music I loved, but did learn to love one distinctly French song that was played non-stop over European radio. Neither my friend nor I could speak a work of French, but in those 4 months we had become experts in mimicking Jane Birkin's breathless, girly voice (complete with heavy breathing) singing Je T’aime … Moi Non Plus. Does anyone remember that song? BTW, I saw Jane Birkin on a TV interview a bit ago and in her 60's now she still looks beautiful.

If you read this blog often, you know I knit lots of white and shades of white and have shared most of them with you. Here are some I haven't shared on my blog, all in a whiter shade of pale.

Below is Martha by Kim Hargreaves, knit in discontinued Rowan 4-Ply Cotton. This pattern was very popular when it came out and I still love it. The next is another Kim Hargreaves called Red Cross. It's made from Rowan Polar, is warm and snuggly, but quite a bit hairy and linty. I think it's also a discontinued yarn. The fabulous buttons are bakelite from my grandmother's robe.

Pearly above it my absolute favorite sweater, my husband's favorite too. A Martin Storey design using Rowan 4-Ply Soft, a wonderful wool, and I think it has been discontinued too. Has it? I can't remember, I hope not! It's wonderful. This sweater has little pearls cuddling in each little cable nest. It's dreamy.

Below is a cardigan design by Debbie Bliss. The ribs turn into cables, very cute. It's made with Baby Cashmerino and is super soft.
Glade above is another Martin Storey design. So fun to knit, but took forever with fingering Rowan 4-Ply Cotton and size 2 needles! The design has all the bobbles and lace you would ever dare to put in a sweater. It was meant to be knit with Rowan Bamboo Soft, but from experience with that dreadful yarn, I knew it would grow into a cardigan sized for a linebacker. How did I know this? Because the beautiful sweater below, Amory by Kim Hargreaves, is knit in Bamboo Soft. A few wears and this sweater stretched to non-wearableness and could not be blocked back. Gifted to daughter who is a size larger, she loves it, that makes me happy. All's well that ends well. Note to self, steer clear of bamboo.


I just got back from a great week in Florida. I took several projects that needed finishing, and as soon as I get some pictures, I'll share them. And thank you Florida for having the most beautiful fall weather while we were vacationing.

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. Kristen, You are amazing with your wintry whites! One is better than the other; it's hard to chose the favorite.
    I hope you had a wonderful vacation. I just got back from a Mexican cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so gorgeous sweaters! I love your pinks and purples too :)
    It's funny about the bamboo experience, because the only sweater I knitted with bamboo ended up with my mom after a few wears, too.

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda