flowers and frogs

April 28, 2011

The roses are popping and the frogs are ready.
 
I have this bucket o' frogs, mostly inherited from my great Aunt Cytha.   Once upon a time, during my childhood, she was a sweet and dear rose grower and arranged flowers in ancient cut glass bowls.
My favorite flower frog is really a tulipiere of sorts.  Tulipiere:  Generally made of pottery, a tulipiere is an ornate flower-holder comprised of a larger vessel containing holes, spouts or troughs to hold single stems of flowers.  The concept dates back to the Egyptians who created similar type vases, but is best remembered from 17th century Holland.  
I have a small collection of pottery tulipieres that I have collected over the years, but my favorite might be this humble glass one I bought about 30 years ago in Williamsburg, VA.  I know I saw similar 25-bud pyramid type vases on the internet last night, but I couldn't find them again this morning to give you the link.  I also found some 7-bud vases, they seem to be easier to find.  I know they are out there.   I'll keep looking and edit when I find them again.

The 25 individual vases are molded together and it's easy to make a beautiful arrangement.

First, fill each vase with water and pop into a  beautiful bowl.
 Next, pick 25 flowers.
Pop each one into a vase.  It's done.  So easy.
 The little vases are now hidden under the mass of flowers.  It makes me look like I can actually arrange flowers.  
I have some tulipieres I like to use for herbs, some for pansies.  I'll share more of them though out spring and summer.  

Until next time, don't forget to stop and smell the roses and have a lovely day!


You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. So awesome, Kristen! The inspiration keeps piling up (though I'd have to purchase my flowers -- I don't grow them). I love that all your collections have such neat stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this I remembered that I had a glass holder just like yours so I got it out and went out to the garden to pick a beautiful bouquet of roses. It looks great. Thanks for the inspiration.

    from Rosarenata

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda