Shaelyn Shawl

July 03, 2011

 
The Shaelyn Shawl by Leila Raabe.   I used one strand of Madeline Tosh Pashmina in Betty Draper's Blues and one strand of Rowan Kidsilk Night in Navy.  The color is not showing up that well in the pictures.  It is a dark denim blue and goes with everything.   The Kidsilk Night adds just a touch of sparkle.  Both yarns were leftovers from my stash and I kept knitting until I ran out of yarn.  But I ran out too soon and had to improvise with another leftover navy yarn to bind off. 
It's a very simple fan and feather lace, very easy pattern to memorize and was a great travel project.  If you are suspicious of lace at all, this is one pattern that you can conquer.  Very easy and very effective, you will look like a lace pro.
I made this super large, seven lace repeats in all.  I wanted a big old shawl I could wrap up in and keep warm.  Pashmina is mostly merino wool with some silk and cashmere and the Kidsilk is mostly mohair, also with some silk.  The combo makes such a lux shawl, so very soft, so very warm.  I finished this a few weeks ago  and have worn it a an outdoor evening party, the ice-cold movie theater and the freezing doctor's office...such a handy shawl.  I'll be wearing it to the beach this 4th of July, our northern California beaches are usually pretty chilly.
My star-spangled patriotic nail polish is one coat of Blue It by Sally Hansen.  I get great coverage with Sally Hansen.  The white dots are made with the Nail Art Pen also by SH.  It's not waterproof and needs a top coat to seal, which is good, it took me a while to get the dots right, and the mistakes just rub right off.  This mani gets a lot of attention!

 
To all my American readers, have a happy and safe Independence Day celebration.  I love it when we have 3 days to celebrate!

You Might Also Like

1 Comments

  1. Wow, this is really pretty! I plan to make a large one, too, but with sport weight. Was yours more of a worsted weight with the Kidsilk haze and the Pashmina held together?

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda